Daily prompt: Show us what you do well

I enjoy my work as a self employed carpenter. Living in a rural area I have a diversity of jobs: from installing new windows, siding and roofing to building decks, sheds, fences, as well as miscellaneous building repairs. I have done this professionally for over 20 years now, although since childhood I always have loved to build things.

This show and tell post will have a series of photos that demonstrate the stages of fixing a deteriorated bathroom floor.

The job you will see below was in a rental apartment complex. I arranged with the client a written contract price of $692.00 & tax that included a new lino flooring, new painted baseboards, and new caulking.  Clearly written in the contract was the fact that an undetermined amount of dry rot would be extra, over and above, the said contract price, and also, that this extra cost would be discussed and agreed to in writing, by myself and the owner.

In all honesty, I am well known in the community, and usually a quick phone call to my clients is all it takes. However, I recommend for most good contactor-client relations, that all work and all changes be made in writing. This protects both the client and the contractor.

The final price for this job including all taxes was $968.79 including all taxes. This was in 2011. Since then I have noticed the rising cost of some construction materials, especially petroleum based products like roof shingles and vinyl siding.

Here goes my response to yesterdays Daily Prompt: Showing what I do well . . .

 

Corner Deterioratred 

First I remove all deteriorated wood, careful of the fact that mould spores are present and that old flooring products often contains asbestos.

 

Corner Repaired

Luckily there was no major damage to the structural floor joists, so I then scarfed in new plywood and attached it with glue and screws.

 

Floor Leveled

Using a cement based underlay product, I levelled the floor.

 

New Plywood

Then I glued and screwed 1/4” good one side plywood. Holes and joints were patched with the underlay compound and sanded even, after this photo was taken. Notice the old sock I put into the toilet stub. This was to stop odours as well to avoid construction debris falling into the sewer pipes.

Restored Bathroom Floor

Finally, I reinstalled the toilet and applied new baseboards. Nail holes were filled and repainted with quality white finish paint. To avoid future deterioration, it is important to carefully recaulk all baseboards and joints. If you glance back at the first photo, you will notice that I also re-caulked the tub surround.

So there you have it – How to fix a deteriorated  bathroom floor.

Cheers – Bruce

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Daily prompt: Show us what you do well

  1. Thanks for “liking” my blog today. So you are a builder, a fixer. Well, my kids like to build with legos, and right now my husband is installing weather-stripping on our front door in Florida. Soon it will be too hot to have the door open.

    • Thanks Marian. I love lego too! With the grandkids of course, and then we have a big earthquake and it all falls down.

      Intersting thought about weatherstripping to keep the heat out. Sensible indeed. If you use incandescent light bulbs, they are better at creating unwanted heat instead of light, so try replacing them with CFL’s or LED bulbs. You’ll save energy and money. And it will reduce global warming.

      Cheers – Bruce

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: